It’s a major metropolitan area run by armed teenagers with no access to jobs or healthy food, and not long ago, while the rest of America was ranting about debt ceilings and Obamacares, Camden quietly got pushed off the map. That was three years ago, when new governor and presumptive future presidential candidate Chris Christie abruptly cut back on the state subsidies that kept Camden on life support. The move left the city almost completely ungoverned – a graphic preview of what might lie ahead for communities that don’t generate enough of their own tax revenue to keep their lights on. Over three years, fires raged, violent crime spiked and the murder rate soared so high that on a per-capita basis, it “put us somewhere between Honduras and Somalia,” says Police Chief J. Scott Thomson.
I think white upper class New Jersey tries to pretend Camden doesn’t exist. So sad.
I remember 3 years ago when Camden didn’t have a police department (ran out of money). Around then, I was trying to find a store in Cherry Hill and got lost in Camden at night in the winter. A brief yet eye-opening look at The Island of Lost Toys meets Lord of the Flies. Any part of NYC is Disneyland by comparison. Aside from Rutgers, Campbell’s and the Aquarium, governor Chris Christie ain’t hanging Camden.
14 Notes/ Hide
- deborahoftarth reblogged this from david-noel
- william-elms reblogged this from david-noel
- cflexman likes this
- tanya77 likes this
- paisleypattern likes this
- mrs-henchy likes this
- shoeshinebrewingco reblogged this from caterpillarcowboy
- ladyofthehouse likes this
- ktothestein reblogged this from valerieagotlib
- gbattle reblogged this from valerieagotlib
- david-noel reblogged this from caterpillarcowboy
- womaninterrupted likes this
- valerieagotlib reblogged this from caterpillarcowboy
- caterpillarcowboy reblogged this from iamdanw
- iamdanw posted this