I doubt they could. I doubt anybody could because there’s no trenches. You’re not gonna learn sitting at home with a laptop. And where do people play? It’s been pay for play for the last 25 years. But the last band I can think of that did it the old fashioned way was the Police. Got into a van and never got out.
Andrew Loog Oldham, “Could Rolling Stones have become the Rolling Stones if they were starting out today?” (via newspeedwayboogie)
I completely agree, but instead of the Rolling Stones we got Will Oldham, Fugazi, and Mike Watt.
I can live with that deal.
I wonder if there is a new model today. You still get the van, the band equipment, but you mix it up a bit. You DJ shows. Add video mixes in there too. All band members can write code, so from town to town, they hack for food and shelter to support their real career. There’s gotta be some bands doing exactly this.
24 Notes/ Hide
- austinkleon likes this
- seltzerlizard likes this
- thundercnt reblogged this from thesickestofnotes
- bigboxcar likes this
- 3dprintmeafucktogive likes this
- playlistplayhouse reblogged this from newspeedwayboogie
- thundercnt likes this
- awordoraline likes this
- hamhammer likes this
- gbattle likes this
- brianvan reblogged this from gbattle
- shorterexcerpts likes this
- newspeedwayboogie likes this
- asecondstart reblogged this from newspeedwayboogie
- ajroach42 likes this
- davehyndman likes this
- gbattle reblogged this from whitneymcn
- hughbot likes this
- whitneymcn reblogged this from newspeedwayboogie
- dnorsen likes this
- newspeedwayboogie posted this